Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Friday, January 02, 2009

Chex Mix

Yes, that's what it's come down to, folks. The only food I've made lately of any interest is Chex mix.

Okay, but here's what's of interest: I won't use Worcestershire sauce, because it has anchovies in it, so I had to find a substitute. Rather than doing something like, oh, looking it up, I looked at a bottle of Worcestershire sauce in the store to see what the main ingredients were, then I walked through the rest of my shopping muttering them to myself: Vinegar, molasses, tamarind, chili powder. So when it came time to make my Chex mix, it went like this:

Melt 6 Tbs butter
Add 2 tbs vinegar, 1 Tbs molasses, 1/2 Tbs tamarind sauce, 1 tsp chili powder, 1 tsp seasoned salt, 1 Tbs onion powder and 1 Tbs garlic powder.

Mix 2 cups rice Chex, 2 cups bran Chex, 2 cups wheat Chex, 1 cup pretzels, 1 cup Cheerios, and 1 can mixed nuts. Add the liquid/spice goo mixture and toss.

Put in a 250 degree oven for 45 minutes, turning every fifteen minutes.

It was good. In the future if I make it again, I'll use bite-sized pretzels instead of stick ones, I'll probably add a little more seasoned salt, and I may add more butter -- the more the better, right?

Of course, Sweetie ate all the Chex out of it and left me with a bowl of Cheerios, nuts, and pretzels, so maybe next time I'll just worry about the Chex.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home