Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Pizza! From (really really) scratch.

Well, I was on a sourdough roll (pun intended). I decided I'd try a pizza that came from a sourdough starter. Apparently, the dough doesn't really get its rising power from the starter, but it gets the flavor from it. Well... good, because it didn't rise much. I rolled it out thinly on parchment paper and threw it onto the pizza stone in a hot oven. I baked it for about ten minutes, then pulled it out and let it sit for a while. I topped it with my favorite pizza toppings (for the record, sauteed oyster and shiitake mushrooms with garden-grown onions, black olives, veggie sausage and mozzarella), then threw it back in for another ten minutes or so.


Here is what I thought: The crust had GREAT flavor. No, it was fantastic. On the other hand, I know some people love crispy, thin crusts, but I am not one of them. I really love chewy, doughy, thick, bready crusts. I don't think I've ever turned down a pizza, so I eat thin crust, too, and as thin crusts go, this one was good. But it wasn't MY favorite kind.

If thin and crispy is your bag, here is the recipe I used. Good luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home