Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

Pecan sticky rolls!

IMG_2540

I've been looking at this web site with an article about baking artisan bread in five minutes a day. I actually just bought the book, because I've been so pleased with how it has worked so far.

The basic idea is that you mix up the ingredients for bread dough (no proofing the yeast or anything, just throw it in), let it rest for a while, then put it in a big container and throw it in the fridge. It lasts for two weeks, and any time you want to make a loaf of bread, you grab a hunk, shape it into a ball, let it rest for a while, then bake. Voila!

The great thing, though, is that you can also use the basic recipe for pizza crust, cinnamon twists, pitas, naan, and more. I made the dough on Saturday and made the pecan sticky rolls on Sunday morning.

It was pretty easy -- I mixed sugar and butter in a cake pan and added pecan halves. Then I rolled out the dough into a rectangle and added a butter/sugar/cinnamon/chopped pecan mixture, then rolled it up. Then I sliced it, put the slices in the cake pan, rested it for 40 minutes, then baked it for 40 minutes.

Sweetie declared them better than those we got at Busy Bee Bakery in Point Reyes, and that's saying something, as we went back there almost every morning that we stayed in Point Reyes!

I will totally keep this recipe on hand; it would be great for when family or friends are visiting, or for a morning after a sleepover for Z and some of her friends.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home