Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Monday, January 31, 2005

Experimental curry (butternut squash and black lentil)

Although I would be perfectly happy just eating a baked butternut squash (425 degrees for up to an hour) with salt and pepper, I thought I should try to make something with it.

I used:

1 medium butternut squash
3/4 cup lentils (I used very small black lentils, but any would work, so would split peas)
1 1/2 boullion cubes mixed with 2 cups water or a can of vegetable broth
1 Tbs Patak's Hot Curry Paste


I cut the squash in half, scooped out the seeds, cut off the ends with a sharb knife, then peeled it using a good peeler. Then I cut it into about 1/2 inch cubes. I sprayed a medium pot with cooking spray, then briefly (5 minutes) cooked the squash on medium high. Then I added the lentils, stock, and curry paste and brought it to a rolling boil. Then I brought the heat down to medium and let it simmer for about half an hour.

[It was very tasty. If I were to make it again, I might use regular water instead of stock, because it was a tiny bit salty. I also would probably not bother pre-cooking the squash, because it got cooked plenty in the half-hour simmering process.] You know, I wrote that yesterday (1/31) after only sampling the curry, not eating a whole bowl. Post-bowl, I disagree with myself and say no, I would not change those things.

Serve with rice. (I put the rice cooker on at about the same time as I put the stock in and it was ready when the curry was.)

1 Comments:

Blogger Piggs said...

It's great. I love it and makes eating squash, normally a meh... experience, a good one!

January 31, 2005 at 5:01:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home