Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Mu-shu vegetables, sort of.

Well, I got my new veggie box today. Onions, broccoli, carrots, salad mix, kale, Napa cabbage, organic whole wheat flour, and oranges. I immediately thought of spring rolls or salad rolls, but since that required a trip to the grocery store and I’m not too skilled at handling rice noodles, and furthermore, since I got the flour, I thought crepes might be easier.

To make the crepes:

1 cup flour
1 1/4 cup milk (I used nonfat soy milk)
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup egg beaters (or one egg)

Combine all ingredients and whisk for the rest of your life. No, just a lot. It’s hard to get the lumps out and you do want it smooth. Heat a nonstick saute pan on the stove over medium high heat. Pour 1/4 cup of the mix (it will be thin, not like pancake batter) into the pan and roll the pan around to spread out the batter. Cook for ten seconds (really) then flip it over and cook it ten seconds on the other side. It will be dry around the edges and you should be able to pick it up easily with a rubber spatula. You can stack these on top of one another to help keep them warm.

To make the filling:

I finely chopped (and I really mean finely, like unrecognizable) the following:

2 medium carrots
6 leaves napa cabbage
1/2 cup broccoli
1 red onion

It would have been pretty easy to stir-fry these with garlic, but I was lazy and steamed them instead, then mixed in miced garlic and ginger.

To assemble:

Put about 1/2 Tbs hoisin sauce on a crepe. Then put on about 1/3 cup veggie mixture. Then roll it up like a burrito and eat. I added a few drops of hot sauce to each and ate three. Yummy!


Dessert crepes!!

Later, for dessert, I was thinking about using some frozen berries to make a dessert crepe, but I also noticed that my bananas were getting pretty ripe, so I used the leftover crepes to make banana crepes.

Thinly slice one banana. Put banana slices on one half of two crepes. Drizzle chocolate sauce (I keep Hershey’s in the fridge) over bananas. Fold crepes in half. Heat the same pan you made the crepes in, and spray in butter flavored cooking spray. Put the crepes in and heat through. Eat.

The crepes were basically from Molly Katzen’s Moosewood Cookbook, which may have been my very first cookbook, which I have consulted for years and which contains several of my favorite recipes ever. (If you have the book, try the “Very Much Marinated Potatoes.” You’ll never go back to regular potato salad.) Anyway, all I changed was that I used the egg beaters instead of the egg, whole wheat flour instead of white, and soy milk instead of cow milk. I guess that’s 75% of the ingredients, but the basic idea was the same.

Good luck if you make them, and make sure you have plenty of hoisin -- I ran out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home