Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Thursday, February 10, 2005

Carnival Squash

This was a small squash, and I was having a hard time deciding what to do with it. Soup didn't really sound that good to me today, and risotto (which did sound good) was time- and labor-intensive, as well as too high on the fat scale. So I threw it in the oven to bake (450 degrees for about 45 minutes -- I put it in whole and scooped the seeds out later). Then I looked through my recipes, did some other stuff, and still hadn't decided when it was done. I said to sweetie "Risotto, soup, or plain with soy sauce?" He said he didn't care. I took half and just ate it, not with soy sauce but with Pepper Plant sauce. It was good. But when Sweetie wandered into the living room and said "is that what's for dinner?" he looked so disappointed I decided I'd actually make his something with the other half. So I prepared

Carnival Squash with an Asian Twist.

I cut up half of one baked Carnival Squash.
I diced one leek (white bits and a tiny bit of green)
I sauteed the leek in a mix of 1 tsp olive oil and 1 tsp sesame oil
I added about 1/2 tsp minced garlic and 1/2 tsp minced ginger
I sauteed those for about 2 minutes, then added the squash and about 2 Tbs of Soy Vey brand Chinese Marinade (which is mostly hoisin sauce), then heated everything through for another 2 minutes.

I served them with steamed vegetable gyoza (potstickers) from Trader Joe's. He said it was good.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home