Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Improvisational Thai curry

Okay, I have another box coming Wednesday, so I really need to start getting rid of the veggies I still have lying around. Which often, for me, results in a curry.

1 tbs olive oil
1 large carrot, sliced into thin rounds
6 baby potatoes, cut in half, then sliced (for half-moon shapes)
most of one giant head of Napa cabbage
one small red onion and about four green onions (I'll explain my wierd onions later)
1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 1/2 tsp minced ginger
1 Tbs Tom Yum paste (or Thai curry paste)
2 stalks celery
1 can coconut milk
1 Tbs chili-garlic paste
4 cups water

Basically I sauteed the onion, garlic, ginger, and celery in the olive oil for about five minutes, then added the potatoes and carrots and sauteed them for another five minutes. Then I added the Tom Yum paste, chili-garlic paste, the coconut milk and the water and let them cook on medium for about 30 minutes. It took that long for the potatoes and carrots to get nearly done. When I tasted a slice of potato and decided it was almost done (wasy to bite through, but I tiny bit of firmness still), I threw in all the sliced cabbage and green onions and let everything cook together for another 5 minutes. Then I salted and peppered it and served it over a mix of white and brown basmati rice.

It was pretty tasty (as evidenced by the fact that all that food got almost entirely devoured by two people). For my part, I could have stood a little more heat, but I've been trying to lay off the heat a little recently due to the various stomach problems of the Piggs-Mockula household. For a spicier curry, add more chili-garlic paste, some sriraca hot sauce (don't go crazy) or red chili flakes.

*On the wierd onions: They came in my veggie box. They were red, and kind of an elongated torpedo shape. They also came with about 12 inches of greens attached. I used the bulb part like a regular onion and chopped the greens like green onions. I didn't actually find them all that wierd, but my sweetie did.

**I made this Monday, by the way, I was just lazy about getting the blogging done. Well, not lazy, busy. I was painting the bedroom.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home