Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Sunday, February 13, 2005

Roasted potatoes

So, I'm not sure what kind of potatoes were in my box, but I suspect Yukon Golds, because they're small, like baby potatoes, and have a yellowy flesh. They're really good, and I never thought I'd be able to tell the difference between a good potato and an average one, but these are really excellent. I didn't want to destroy their flavor too much, so I just kept it simple.


About 16 baby potatoes, quartered or halved, depending on size
2 tsp minced garlic
3 leeks, white parts chopped
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1/4 tsp dried basil
cooking spray
salt and pepper

I just mixed everything (but the cooking spray), poured them into a medium Pyrex dish (this is where the spray came in) and baked them at 425 for about 45 minutes. I sprinkled mine with Pepper Plant sauce, but you could as easily have used tabasco or ketchup.

Experiment: I took about 1/4 cup of these already-cooked potates and tried to re-create a potato salad I had at Biras Creek resort in the Virgin Islands last summer. I dressed the hot potatoes in about a tablespoon of plain yogurt with a squeeze of Beaver honey mustard. I didn't get it exactly (I think there were capers involved), but I'm on to something, I think, with the roasting, the yogurt, the good potatoes, and the dressing them while they're warm.

Okay, bye all!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home