Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Monday, February 21, 2005

Carrot soup

Well, I liked recipes in both Jack Bishop's Vegetables Every Day and Mollie Katzen's Moosewood Cookbook, so I read them both pretty thoroughly, then put them away and started cooking.

1 Tbs minced ginger
2 diced red onions
6 Medium carrots, washed, peeled if necessary, and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
4 cups water

4 Tbs plain yogurt
2 tsp minced cilantro


Sautee the ginger and onions in a medium saucepan until the onions are soft, then add the spices, carrots and water, and cook over medium high heat until carrots are tender, 45 minutes to an hour. Then process in batches in a blender or use an immersion blender to puree. I left mine a little on the chunky side. Salt and pepper to taste

Combine the yogurt and cilantro in a sandwich baggie, snip off one corner, and use the bag to decorate the top of the soup in the design of your choice.

Made about 3 servings. I served it with crusty walnut bread from Trader Joe's.

This was pretty good, and easy, although it took a lot longer than I expected for it to cook. I was just playing around with the yogurt, but I think it was a good call, because the soup was very mildly flavored on its own.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home