Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Thursday, March 10, 2005

The asparagus challenge

Piggs says he doesn't like asparagus. This is nearly incomprehensible to me, as asparagus makes my top ten favorite veggies list easily. So a couple times now I've made him asparagus my favorite way -- stir-fried with ginger and garlic in sesame oil, then sprinkled with sesame seeds. He has admitted that he likes that. But we got some really good-looking asparagus in the veggie box yesterday, and I decided to see if he might appreciate the plain old glory of asparagus unadulterated. I peeled it (my first time, but the newspaper articles keep saying to try it), steamed it very briefly so that it's still crisp and bright green, then put fresh ground black pepper, less than 1/2 a teaspoon of sea salt, and a tiny splash of lemon juice on it. I'm letting it cool down to make either a room temperature or a chilled salad. I suspect it will be extraordinary. I'll let you know how he likes it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home