Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Ginger ice cream, etc.

Well, if you're wondering, the ice cream turned out beautifully! I was a little worried that it wouldn't be strongly flavored enough, especially since I kept sniffing the mixture and couldn't smell the ginger. But it tasted good. Really good, actually. I am glad I went with the smooth ice cream, too, although it would make incredible ice cream sandwiches with either ginger snaps or molasses cookies.

As for the Garlicky Kale . . . (see last post) I tried hard not to change too much. I used four colossally humongous cloves of garlic, but the recipe said four. Everything else I did just as the recipe indicated until I got to the very end at the "adjust seasoning" part. I thought it needed quite a bit more salt -- I couldn't say how much I added, but I passed my big shaker over the skillet thoroughly twice. Then I served it up and tasted it again and I still really thought it could use a little kick. So I sprinkled it liberally with parmesan cheese (NOT the green can kind) and then doused it with a little splash of balsamic vinegar (not more than a teaspoon per bowl). That livened it up. It was tasty and filling.

I'll let you know in a couple days how the pickled eggs are. We have a good-looking veggie box coming tomorrow, so look for more experiments, too . . .

1 Comments:

Blogger monkeygirl said...

I have further advice on squeezing lemons. First off Broccula is right screw the squeezer. However I have found that if you cut the lemon in half, and hold it in your hand so that the rind is in your palm, and squeeze this gets the juice out and allows you to prevent the seeds from falling all over you food. Thus you can keep one hand lemon free.

April 4, 2005 at 10:57:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home