Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Wednesday, March 16, 2005

Rainbow stir-fry

Okay, not rainbow, but very colorful anyway.

1 tsp canola oil
1 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp minced lemongrass
1 tsp minced garlic
1 inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
2 leeks, white parts chopped

2 large carrots, very thinly sliced
2 cups broccoli, broken into florets with stems peeled and sliced
1 small purple cabbage, cut into thin strips
1 TBS soy sauce
1 TBS chili-garlic paste

Heat the oils over high heat (I actually use the setting just below the highest on my electric stove, lest I scorch things). Then add the next 4 ingredients and stir until the leeks get translucent and the mixture is very fragrant. Then add the carrots and stir frequently for 1-2 minutes. Then add the broccoli and stir frequently for 1-2 minutes. Then add the cabbage, soy sauce, and chili-garlic paste and cook it for another 1-2 minutes. If everything's really done, the broccoli will be bright green but tender. The prep time on this takes more than the cooking time.

It was lovely and tasty. I served it over rice with a few veggie potstickers from Trader Joe's on the side.

I use a mandoline to slice my carrots, since I'm not really a very good slicer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home