Count Broccula's veg-head ramblings

My home experiments with vegetarian cooking. Focused on seasonal produce with some vegan stuff thrown in for good measure. I may include random other food-related stuff as I please.

Thursday, April 07, 2005

Mighty Miso Minestrone & MMM asparagus

Okay, I just made that up. I like alliteration, and frankly I couldn't come up with anything better.

2 Tbs sesame oil
1 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
2 large cloves garlic, minced
2 large carrots, thinly sliced
1 large leek, white parts sliced, and some of the green parts, sliced
8 cups water
1/2 cup miso paste or 2 packages instant miso soup
1/2 cup dried onions
1/2 cup dried mushrooms
1 bunch chard (about 15 large leaves), ribs removed and leaves thinly sliced
salt to taste

Heat the oil over medium high heat in a large pot. Add ginger, garlic, leeks and carrots and sautee until fragrant. Add water, miso, onions and mushrooms and bring to a low boil. Then add kale and turn heat down to medium. Cook for another ten minutes, salt, and serve.

It was good -- I really like my soups to have a bunch of stuff in them, not be mostly broth. I would call the mushrooms optional, since I'm not crazy about them. If you use instant miso soup (as I did) try to make sure it's just the powder, not powder with chunks of dehydrated tofu and stuff. I was trying a new brand and didn't expect all that extra junk.

A good way to slice the chard is to take the ribs out by cutting the leaves on either side, then stacking the leaf halves about five high, rolling them up, and slicing the roll. I saw this rolling technique on the food network with basil one time, but it totally translates to bigger leaves.

Asparagus:

1 Tbs sesame oil
1 1-inch knob ginger, minced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 bunch asparagus
Soy Vay Chinese marinade or hoisin sauce

To make this go faster, I snap the ends off the asparagus, then break them into bite-sized pieces, wash them, then throw them in a microwave-safe container and nuke them for 2 minutes first. The water from washing them will help them steam.

Heat the sesame oil over high heat, add the garlic and ginger. Stir for about one minute, then add the steamed asparagus. Stir for about two minutes, then add about 3 Tbs Soy Vay or hoisin. Stir over the heat just until well mixed, then serve. I served mine over rice with a splash of sriracha hot sauce.

Sweetie actually enthusiastically said "MMM" about this one, and I teased him that he was becoming an asparagus convert. He said "If you keep putting yummy sauce on it I am."

1 Comments:

Blogger Piggs said...

It was MMM. That sauce was divine. It would be good with veggies and tofu as well...

April 8, 2005 at 6:37:00 AM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home